Tuesday 5 February 2013

Monday Maker... with Sarah Davies!


Sarah – The Person

Name: Sarah Davies

Year of Birth: 1976

Current City: Guildford is my closest city!

Company name: u-ni-k gifts llp






How would you describe a typical Sunday?
Kathryn will wake us all up, usually by running in shouting “Morning Time!”. Daddy makes breakfast & the grown ups have a few cups of coffee. If the weather is nice, Kathryn & I will go out on an adventure while Daddy does his thing. If it's raining then we'll play painting or play doh. Sunday curry followed by watching TV in front of the fire is our family time before Kathryn's bath, book and bedtime routine.



And here a quite obvious question: How did you become a talented crafts person / designer? What inspired you to do this?

My Mum taught me how to knit when I was young but by the time I was a teenager I had cast aside my knitting needles for paint brushes and school books.

When I became pregnant with Kathryn I was keen to make her something traditional. So I picked up knitting needles again and started knitting squares. Once I'd completed the blanket, I looked for more challenging things to knit. A brief look around Ravellry brought me to the knitted softies. Not fond of knitting in wool or synthetic materials I started to deviate from the patterns I had to create my own little creatures. Now each one of them is lovingly made by me and has their own story to tell.

Not being the best seamstress in town, their embroidered faces usually gives me the character of the animal and from that their name. Dirty Dorris was so very cheery that she looked made for splashing about making mud pies and generally becoming covered in dirt. So the dream to become an archaeologist was an obvious choice for her story.

Its Fill-in-the-blanks time. So, please fill in the blanks:

I love photography because it allows me to capture moments to cherish forever. 

If I could live anywhere I'd live in New Zealand by the sea. 

If I weren’t a designer / maker , I would be a photographer. 

People who like natural things will like my creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment