Wednesday 20 March 2013

Monday Maker....Lucy Litchfield


Introducing one of our newest Mummy makers.


Name: Lucy Neeve
Year of Birth: 1978
Current City: Wells, Somerset
Company name: Lucy Litchfield
Significant Others: Husband Mr Neave and our lovely daughter Winifred Judy Rose



How would you describe a typical Sunday?
It rather depends whether I am teaching dressmaking or not! If not, hopefully a late start depending on Winnie's lie in, then coffee and pancakes, followed by a walk in the farm yard chatting to the chickens and cows and watching the sky. A simple lunch of cheese and crackers followed by playing with Winnie whilst cooking a roast dinner.


And here a quite obvious question: How did you become a talented crafts person / designer?
I have always had an interest in Sewing, I guess because my mum was a wonderful sewer and knitter. I used to make skirts out of vintage pillowcases and sew huge flares into my jeans as a teenager. After a journey through art diplomas, a degree in Fashion and a stint in the fashion industry, I realised I didn't belong in the fashion world and that I needed something more real, honest and enriching to do with my life, so I became a secondary school art teacher. I have always had a passion for the old fashioned art of beautiful dressmaking, and admired the way in which the vintage clothing I was buying was so carefully hand made. After years of disbelieving in my creative and technical skill, the death of my mother and birth of my daughter within 8 months of each other gave me the push I needed to get designing and sewing.



What inspired you to do this?
My mum was a huge influence on me, she was a very creative person, sewing many of her own clothes as-well as for my sister and me and lots of knitted garments for our Barbies! Because of a passion for old fashioned living my wardrobe has always been made up of old tops and dresses from the 30's, 40's and 50's and whenever I went high street shopping I always found myself saying "I could make that, and better!", so I never bought anything and just adapted and re-sized vintage clothing or made my own. Now that I have the wonderful Winifred in my life it is her that inspires me the most. My great grandmother was also a dressmaker so maybe it is in my blood too!





Its Fill-in-the-blanks time. So, please fill in the blanks:
I love tea in the pot  because I love the ceremony, it makes me feel old fashioned, and it tastes better.
If I could live anywhere I'd live in Somerset.
If I weren’t a designer / maker , I would be either a farmer or a cleaner I guess! 
People who like well made, unique, ethical and vintage things will like my creations.

In my everyday life I attempt to live by a practical, utilitarian and ethical philosophy. I therefore only use materials that have either been created fairly, organically and ethically or vintage, found and up-cycled.



Coming Soon to u-ni-k gifts
     

No comments:

Post a Comment