Monday 25 March 2013

Monday Maker- Sarah Papworth
























Name: Sarah Papworth
Year of Birth: 1980

Current City: Evesham 
Company name: Beetroot Press






How would you describe a typical Sunday?



On Sundays I like to get up a little later than usual and potter around the house in the morning.  I might tend to my veggies I'm starting to grow, bake a simple cake to eat during the week, or occasionally visit the Malvern flea fair to see what bargains I can find.  If it's a nice day, my partner Juls and I like to go for a walk around our local area and pop into our village pub for a quick drink. Or on a cold wintery afternoon I love to watch an old film while stitching a few patches onto my bedding quilt I'm up-cycling, or make something for our home, like another draught excluder for our drafty barn we live in!  Generally, in the evening I plan out my forthcoming week, (although I rarely stick to the plan), and relax by watching a good drama on the telly.  




                                                   




And here a quite obvious question: How did you become a talented crafts person / designer? What inspired you to do this?


I kind of just flowed into it really.  I have always been creative from a young age, sewing my own rag dolls, bags, purses from my Mum's vintage fabric stash, and drawing brightly coloured patterns and pictures. I went to Winchester School of Art to study fine art and while I was on my foundation course, I switched over to textile design as I realised what I loved most was creating marks and texture on the fabric which then came together through colour and design.  I hadn't studied textiles before, so the small amount I learnt off my mum was very useful.  After university I got a job in retail buying, then moved into surface pattern design, I got the experience and inspiration I needed within the design environment and the confidence to start doing my own thing.  I wanted to be able to create my own products featuring my designs, which lead to starting up Beetroot Press.  I love to learn new skills, so between that, and being naturally crafty, they drive me to gain more knowledge in what I do, and in new ways to create wonderful things.  


Its Fill-in-the-blanks time. So, please fill in the blanks:

I love Spring  because it brings new life and colour to the once wintery land.  





If I could live anywhere I'd live in the Malvern hills, Worcestershire.



If I weren’t a designer / maker , I would be an upholsterer/furniture maker, or aromatherapist! 



People who like whimsical and eco-friendly designs, inspired by vintage picture and pattern, will like my creations.







Sarah's gorgeous illustrations will be added to the unikgifts.co.uk website very soon. Email us for a preview of her work. Sales@unikgifts.co.uk







No comments:

Post a Comment